Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mama Mia!

On Monday night, I finally did a little of my own authentic Italian cooking!  Our school offered a cooking class for us to take at a placed called In Tavola Corsi di Cucina, which is located on the other side of the Ponte Vecchio.  I didn't really know what to expect because I've only taken one cooking class before, but I figured I was in for a treat.  

When we got there, Jade, Alex, & I suited up in our aprons.  We were excited to learn how the italians work in the kitchen!


We started by making our appetizer, which was an eggplant caprese.  It was AMAZING!   They provided grilled, thinly sliced eggplant and we topped them with fresh tomato, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and a little olive oil.  All we did was put them in the oven for a few minutes in order to melt the mozzarella and they were done!  I'm not a huge eggplant lover, but this appetizer converted me....we already decided to make them again tonight!  

For dinner, we made two types of pasta from scratch.  They weren't kidding when they said everything was homemade!  We made two types of sauces- a garlic, tomato, white wine sauce & a meat, carrot, onion, red wine sauce.  They were both out of this world.  Definitely something I would make in the near future.  After we made our sauces, we made the noodles...from square one.  Here is Jade and I learning how to make our own pasta noodles:


Our amazing teacher Fabritizio!  He was the best.  He was so knowledgeable and helpful with us in the kitchen.  Fabritizio was the man!


I was in charge of turning the little wheel on the pasta press....such a crucial role.  Here is our freshly made pasta dough going through the little pasta press.  I was absolutely amazed by this! Making pasta requires team work, but we were pasta professionals after this!


Here is our finished product before it was cooked.  Besides the amazing taste, homemade pasta is much faster to cook than store bought!  It only cooked for a few minutes before it was done.  


For dessert (my favorite part of any meal), we made tiramisu!  I never knew how easy it was to make.  We took the lady finger cookies and dipped them into the Brandy/coffee mixture.  Then we made the cream with mascarpone cheese, eggs, and sugar.  So easy & so amazing! 


After we finished making everything, we went downstairs to this adorable seating area to enjoy our homemade meal!
Our finished products!  Here is our appetizer, not sure if the picture does it justice, but it was absolutely delicious!  I can't wait to make these again!  They melted in our mouths.  


Here is the pasta with the garlic & tomato sauce.  I think I liked this on better because it was a little lighter than the other!


This was the pasta with the meat sauce.  Tons of flavor and it had a little kick to it! I loved both pastas...I definitely had to have a little of each. 


Here is our magnificent dessert!  I ate every bite.  The tiramisu was so moist and the creme was amazing.  YUM!  This picture makes me want to eat it again!  We had one extra at our table, so Jade, Alex, and I agreed to bring it home and share it so we could have another bite the next day!


Overall, my italian cooking class experience was wonderful.  I had so much fun being in the kitchen and the food was too good!  It definitely inspired me to want to cook more and I realized that cooking isn't as intimidating as it seems.  We all agreed to look into doing another class because we had such a good time.  I think when my mom & Maggie come to visit in October we may do another class!  

No comments:

Post a Comment