Saturday, September 15, 2012

Excursion to Cinque Terre, Italy




Yes...this picture is real and I took it myself.  Crazy, right?  Yesterday was my favorite day in Italy thus far.  Our school took us on a day trip to Cinque Terre, Italy!  Words can't even begin to describe how amazing this place is.  I have been to beautiful places like Hawaii and the Caribbean, but Cinque Terre doesn't even compare.  

Cinque Terre is made up of 5 small villages- Riomaggiore, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Monterosso.  While we were there, we visited all of the villages except for Vernazza.  We started our day in Riomaggiore and I thought it was absolutely adorable.  There were great shops and the cutest restaurants!  

We were a little hungry once we got there and we found the most delicious crepe cafe.  They were amazing!!! Alex & Jamie got a nutella and banana crepe and Jade & I got a mixed fruit crepe.  I haven't ever had a crepe before and I definitely wasn't disappointed.  The presentation really pretty as well.

After we indulged in our crepes, we did a little exploring around the first village.  The views were absolutely spectacular.  I have never seen water like this.  The weather was absolutely perfect and we had fun just exploring.  


 From Riomaggiore, we took the train to third village to meet up with Katie, Cort, Austin, Tyler, Max, & Kendal.  Even though they aren't in our study abroad program, they decided to go to Cinque Terre for the day to meet up with us.  From Corngilia, we took the train to the fourth village, Manarola. This is where the true fun began.  We decided to hike to the 5th village of Monterosso.  Let's just say we didn't have the slightest idea what we had gotten ourselves into.  This wasn't just a leisure walk from one village to another.  This hike was realistically 1,000-2,000 steep, high steps through the hillside, climbing over rocks and through trees.  Needless to say, there were a few points where we thought we would never make it.  Every muscle in our body was burning.  The hike took about an hour and a half, but it was definitely well worth it.  The view from unreal.  Definitely something off of a postcard.  The feeling once we had reached Monterosso was amazing.  All 10 of us made it.  Here is a 
picture of Jade, Me, & Katie during our hike :



This was a day I will never forget.  Even though my legs feel like jello today, I am so happy that we did  the hike!  The beaches in Monterosso were so pretty! The minute we touched the sand, we jumped into the water.  It was so peaceful to just float in the Tyrrhenian Sea.  All of us girls had a great time swimming in the gorgeous water.  From left to right- Jamie, Kendal, Me, Alex, Katie, & Jade.
 


Here are a few more pictures from the day!  I absolutely loved Cinque Terre.  Our program was leaving at 4, but we decided to stay back and take the train home later with our friends.  Somehow & someway, we all made it home in one piece!  I will remember this day forever and I'm so happy I have pictures to remind me of it.  





No comments:

Post a Comment