Wednesday, November 7, 2012

YOLO- (You Only London Once)

All hail the king and queen!  The next stop of our fall break adventure was to London, England! On Thursday, Alex, Jamie, Katie, Jade & I took a train from Paris to London.  That was an adventure in itself.  We didn't really know what we were getting ourselves into with traveling from different countries by train.  For some reason we figured it would be just like in Florence where you hop on right before the train departs, but we were very wrong.  

Our afternoon started by getting to the train station an hour before our train.  Since we had some spare time to kill, we decided to go get some food at a nearby cafe.  Since it was cold out, soup sounded appealing so we got 4 bowls of soup.  Boy was that a mistake.  First of all, our soup took forever to get....I'm pretty sure they were making it with water in the back from scratch.  Then, we had to juggle rolling our 50 pound suitcases while holding soup in one hand and our purses over our other shoulder. Little did we realize that we had to go through customs and security!  I wish someone was video taping us trying to juggle everything we were holding, while trying to carry SOUP.  That funny thing was, Jade took over my suitcase so I decided to carry the 4 soups.  I had no luggage going through security, only 4 bags of soup....it was hilarious!  

For our first real day in London, we got up bright and early and headed to Buckingham Palace.  I was amazed at how beautiful it was!  It was definitely a major touristy spot, but well worth going to!  




Jamie, Katie, Jade, Me, Kendal, Alex, & Calla at Buckingham Palace


After visiting the palace, we walked through Green Park.  This is one of the many beautiful parks in London!  We found these random benches in the park and decided to take a group picture.  It turned out to be one of my favorite pictures in London!  


Throwing leaves in Green Park!


Me & Alex.  I'm going to miss this girl when we part ways in a few months.  I never imagined I would meet someone abroad who I would click so well with.  She will always be my little southern belle! 


After Green Park, we headed to the Westminster area!  We had to take the cliche picture in a red photo booth!  We fit 6 of us inside!


The gorgeous Westminster Abbey!  The place where William & Kate were married!  


Almighty Big Ben!  I was so excited to see this!  It was definitely more amazing in person than I even expected.  The historical spots in London were spectacular!


After visiting Big Ben, we headed over near the London Eye!  Along the way, we found the most cutest stand with the most delicious treats.  They taste just as good as they look!  I shared the oatmeal whoopie pie with Alex and Jade.  It was two moist oatmeal cookies with cream cheese frosting in the middle.  I could do for a another whoopie just about now...


All of us on the bridge in front of the London Eye!


After exploring in London for a while, our tour guide Calla took us to Borough Market.  It was basically a huge outdoor market with any type of food your heart desires.  There were smoothies, meats, cheeses, candy, nuts, chocolate, salads, & much more at this amazing market!  We decided that since we were in London, this would be a perfect opportunity to try fish & chips!  At first I was a little nervous, but I was definitely impressed.  The fish & chips were delicious!


All of us enjoying our fish & chips for lunch!


After visiting Borough market, we went to the famous Harrods!  Let's just say Bloomies and Nordstrom have nothing on Harrods!  Everything from clothes to shoes to ice cream to pre-made food to tea to chocolate can be found at Harrods.  They also have an amazing Christmas room, which was my favorite!  I was extremely impressed with the store!  I could have easily spent hours there.  Everything was so organized and clean.  If I were in London longer, I could have done some serious damage at Harrods! 






The next day we decided to do one of the most touristy things you can do in London!  We hopped aboard an open air bus and took a tour of the city!  I loved walking around London, but being up top in a bus was a lot of fun!  Although it was cold and windy, it was worth it!  We had a blast!







After a day of sight seeing and tours, we decided to go to Hyde Park and take a stroll.  There's nothing like breathing the crisp fall air and seeing the gorgeous trees everywhere.  Walking through this enormous park was the perfect way to end our fabulous London trip.  



No comments:

Post a Comment